The most effective issues to do in Vienna, Austria showcase the town’s class, the place stately buildings rise out of the historic centre, cobblestone streets wind previous luxurious shops and charming cafes spill onto laneways. Landmarks embody a palace with a whole lot of rooms, a cathedral that was as soon as the continent’s highest constructing, and let’s not overlook about that world well-known opera home. Principally, Vienna (additionally referred to as Wien) is all the pieces that individuals come to Europe for in a single easy-to-navigate, secure metropolis.
So how does one see the highest Vienna points of interest, with out getting caught up within the standard ABCs? (That’s One other Bloody Church, for these blissfully unaware). Effectively, listed here are some insider ideas gleaned from a pal who lived there, mixed with tried-and-tested suggestions that spotlight our high picks for what to do in Vienna, Austria.
What to see in Vienna: The palaces
Positive they’re touristy, however stopping on the beautiful palaces are a should on each Vienna itinerary. First up is Hofburg Palace, situated within the coronary heart of the historic centre. As soon as house to the Habsburgs who reigned over Austria, it was expanded over the centuries to what it’s immediately: a so-called metropolis inside a metropolis, boasting 18 wings, 19 courtyards and greater than two thousand rooms.
As we speak it homes the workplace of the President and secretaries of state, a museum, and the Spanish Using Faculty the place you may watch the well-known Lipizzaner horses practice. Guests may take a look at the Imperial Residences, for a glimpse into what life was like for Emperor Franz Joseph and his spouse, Elisabeth.
That highly effective household additionally had an ornate summer season residence about six kilometres away in what was once the outskirts of Vienna. Constructed within the 1740s, sprawling Schönbrunn Palace is a baroque masterpiece with 1,441 rooms, a chapel and meticulously stored gardens that rival these present in Versailles. There’s even a zoo!
Schönbrunn Palace is now Austria’s hottest landmark, one of many high issues to do in Vienna, and has additionally been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Website. Click on to guide
Insider tip: Schönbrunn Palace has one of many greatest Christmas Markets within the metropolis, so you should definitely test it out if you end up in Vienna throughout the vacation season.
Procuring in Vienna
Talking of Christmas markets, the town has a number of the most beautiful markets in all of Europe, and visiting them is among the greatest issues to do in Vienna at evening throughout the festive season. Whereas there are dozens scattered round city throughout the holidays, don’t miss the one in entrance of Metropolis Corridor (Rathausplatz). Music is within the air, strings of lights are suspended over brightly-lit stalls promoting handicrafts, sweets and snow globes, and the cinnamon scent of gluhwein will coax you to seize a steaming mug of it to heat your self from the within out.
RELATED: A fashionista’s information to what to pack for winter in Europe
From Rathausplatz it’s not too far of a stroll to Graben, one of many prettiest and costliest streets within the metropolis. Largely a pedestrian-only space, the cobblestone lanes wind previous espresso homes, the attractive plague column statue, and luxurious retailers akin to Louis Vuitton and Hermes. Graben additionally borders essential metropolis landmarks, together with Hofburg Palace and St. Stephen’s Cathedral, so it’s inevitable you’ll find yourself right here in some unspecified time in the future.
For a purchasing expertise that’s simpler on the pockets, head to Mariahilfer Straße which is Vienna’s longest retail avenue. Common with locals, that is the place you’ll discover main department shops in addition to boutiques.
Vienna’s greatest structure
Only a couple blocks away from Graben is among the high locations to go to inVienna: magnificent St. Stephen’s Cathedral (Stephansdom). Designed with renaissance and neo-Gothic influences, it boasts a grand tower and ornate tiled roof.
The cathedral stood for greater than 800 years earlier than being levelled throughout World Warfare II, however was constructed again up once more by the Austrians when the conflict ended, and it’s as placing as ever. Guests are welcome to discover the within, which makes this among the best free issues to do in Vienna. You may as well decide to pay just a few euros to go up the tower for a birds-eye view of the town.
One other spot that’s fashionable with each locals and vacationers is Ringstrasse, the place the previous metropolis partitions stood till 1857 when the emperor ordered that they be torn down. The highway surrounds the town centre, passing by landmarks together with the famed Vienna State Opera Home, parliament, metropolis park and the Museum of Positive Arts. Circling over 5 kilometres, discover it on foot or take the tram, which does a loop each half hour.
Lastly, one spot that received’t be highlighted on most maps is the Hundertwassserhaus. The condominium advanced was designed by Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser (therefore the identify) and is actually a vibrant collage paying homage to the structure present in Barcelona. Positive it’s a bit out of the best way, however price it for many who wish to see the quirky components of a metropolis or want a standout topic for his or her Instagram feed.
RELATED: Splendidly bizarre issues to do in Vienna, Austria
Finest issues to eat in Vienna
Alright, now for the essential stuff…meals! Austrian meals is much like German delicacies in that it centres round hearty, conventional meals, akin to schnitzels and bratwurst. Locals take pleasure in:
- Figlmüller– Well-known for his or her conventional wiener schnitzel, which is presumably larger than your head. Positioned close to St. Stephen’s Cathedral, dinner reservations really helpful.
- Naschmarkt– Tremendous cute market close to the town centre, which has been working for hundreds of years. There are each meals stalls and eating places, in addition to a a flea market each Saturday.
- Julius Meinl– Positioned on fancy Graben, this luxurious grocery retailer (sure, there’s such a factor) brings in gourmand items from around the globe. Be sure you look on the value tag for a flag exhibiting the place every merchandise was imported from. It’s not simply the shop that will get individuals excited although, as Julius Meinl is definitely identified for its wonderful cafe. There’s additionally a wine cellar and eating room on web site.
Whenever you go to Vienna, you should definitely cease into a restaurant—the town is known for its Viennese espresso! A few of the elegant cafes across the metropolis have string quartets, whose classical notes float up as clients dig into desserts akin to wealthy chocolate sachertorte or strudels. Advisable cafes embody:
- Demel– Cute, salon-style cafe which dates again to the 1800s, together with a retailer and bakery on the primary ground.
- Cafe Central– Open since 1876, the cafe boasts scrumptious desserts in a stunning, conventional setting. Positioned within the metropolis’s first district, it was as soon as a preferred haunt for the likes of Sigmund Freud and Leo Trotzki. Be sure you strive the apple strudel!
- Cafe Mozart– Just like Cafe Central, situated close to the opera home.
- Cafe Neko– For a very quirky expertise, head to this “cat cafe” close to St. Stephen’s Cathedral…however provided that you’re not allergic to, effectively, cats.
Vienna’s high museums
For those who’re fascinating in including some museums to your Vienna itinerary, right here’s the place you’ll wish to go:
- Belvedere– The Belvedere is comprised of two gorgeous baroque palaces constructed within the 18th century, which now home a museum with Austria’s most interesting art work. Essentially the most well-known piece is Gustav Klimt’s “Kiss” and there are additionally works from the likes of Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet.
- MuseumsQuartier– A big space within the metropolis’s seventh district which is house to plenty of exhibitions, a theatre, occasion venue, efficiency centre and even a youngsters’s museum.
Enjoyable in Vienna
Whereas one might simply spend just a few days exploring Vienna’s high websites, there are some nice methods to calm down whereas nonetheless soaking within the environment of the town.
By far, some of the fashionable and distinctive experiences within the metropolis is attending the world well-known opera. The Vienna State Opera is among the greatest on the planet, but extremely tickets are bought for as little as 7 euros! As you may think about they’re snapped up quick, so it’s really helpful that you just try to snag some on-line as quickly as you recognize which days you’ll be in Vienna. Even for those who’re not fortunate sufficient to get tickets, you may nonetheless tour the opera home throughout the day.
Vienna’s different declare to fame is that it’s house to one of many world’s oldest ferris wheels. Wiener Riesenrad was in-built 1897 and really needed to be rebuilt after World Warfare II. It nonetheless works simply high quality (aside from being a bit gradual), and provides an incredible view of the encompassing 2nd district. Click on to guide
Lastly, for those who’re trying to get in contact with nature there’s no higher place than considered one of Vienna’s parks. Stadtpark close to the town centre has been in comparison with New York Metropolis’s Central Park (however WAY smaller), and has stunning strolling paths.
Alternatively, head out to the Vienna Woods the place you’ll discover native favorite Kahlenberg. Not solely does it have good trails, it additionally has a improbable vantage level overlooking the town. Seize a bottle of wine, sit again, calm down and benefit from the view!
Ebook considered one of these Vienna excursions:
The place to remain in Vienna
- Boutique Lodge am Stephansplatz: This beautiful resort options glossy, fashionable rooms and enjoyable decor, with an distinctive location throughout from St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Unwind on the spa after a protracted day of sightseeing, or take pleasure in a glass of wine of their cafe. Click on to guide
- Lodge Beethoven Vienna: This funky boutique resort has individually embellished rooms, and its lower cost level makes this a great mid-range choice. Company love its central location, attentive workers and quiet rooms. Click on to guide
- Palais Hansen Kempinski: This historic property is among the most opulent in Vienna, and dates again to 1873. A part of the posh Kempinski group, the rooms and suites are unfold over three flooring, there’s a spa and Michelen-starred restaurant. Click on to guide
This text was initially revealed in January 2016 and up to date in July 2020
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
SHARE THE PINSPIRATION! CLICK THE IMAGES BELOW TO PIN: